Category Archives: Glossary

This area is used for report reference.

Water Heaters

Overview image of a water heater installation: Continue reading

Convenience Receptacles

Older buildings usually have too few receptacles compared to current standards. While there is no requirement to add additional receptacles unless remodeling or renovation is performed in the area, they can provide greater safety Continue reading

Kitchen Countertop Receptacles

While there is no requirement to upgrade the countertop receptacles in an older kitchen unless remodeling or renovation is undertaken, we recommend it as a prudent safety upgrade. Continue reading

Handrails and Guardrails

Handrails and guardrails are frequently outdated in older property. Building standards evolve over time, especially in response to injury, and while it is unlikely there would be any municipal requirement Continue reading

GGASHI Pre-Meeting Model


Gas System

The gas system conveys natural gas from the utility gas meter to the individual appliances that need it. This may be a wall furnace, forced air furnace, water heater or kitchen appliances. Continue reading

AFCI Protection

AFCIs (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters) are intended to reduce the chance of fires caused by electrical arcing faults; whereas, GFCIs are devices intended to reduce the chances of shock and/or electrocution.  Continue reading

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI)

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protection is actually more important than grounding in preventing electrical shocks. Contemporary standards allow GFCI’s as replacement receptacles for non-grounded receptacles. Continue reading

Service Grounding and Bonding

Electrical services should have grounding components at the main service that are designed to protect the system from lightning strikes and problems that could occur with the power lines from the utility.  Continue reading

Drain, waste and Vent Piping

The drain, waste and vent system is referred to by plumbers as “DWV” and this is the system that conveys waste and gray water to the municipal sewer system (or septic system if applicable). Continue reading

Water Pressure Regulator

Water pressure regulators are typically required by the City or County when the incoming water pressure exceeds 80 psi. The idea is to reduce the chance of pipes, hoses, appliances or supply lines from leaking or bursting from high pressure. Continue reading


We use this (work in progress) glossary as a tool to provide background information for comments we make in our property inspection reports.

These items are not necessarily stand-alone comments and discussions during the inspection and our written report are important for context.

Deck Ledger (Poor Flashings)

A ledger is the board or framing member that secures a deck or porch to the structure. These framing members are vulnerable to moisture damage as debris and water often become trapped between the ledger and the wall leading to rot or decay. Continue reading

Deck Ledger (Nails Only)

A ledger is the board or framing member that secures a deck or porch to the building. Deck and porch ledgers should be securely bolted to the building to prevent injuries from failure. Continue reading

Main Water Service (Building Supply)

The main water line or the building water supply is the portion of underground piping from EBMUD’s water meter to the home. Continue reading

Transite Vent Piping

Transite is an old brand name for an obsolete asbestos-cement product. Continue reading